This post was first published in my old blog (which is now private) way back April 27, 2010. I lifted this article and updated it for re-posting here. I thought I need to share these green tips that I personally apply at home to my Pink MagaLine readers.
Back when I was not using energy saving measures, our electric bill was around from P1,500 to P1,800 each month. After the implementation of electricity saving steps in the household, our bills literally dropped a digit. From almost P2,000 monthly consumption of electricity, our March 2010 went down to P772. Amazing isn't it?
These days, I still apply the same things in our condo unit. While my friends of almost the same number of family members, some even have smaller units, pay around P4,000 to P6,000 for electric consumption, I am only paying between P1,500 to P1,800 each month. That's behind the fact that MERALCO already raised their fee a number of times since 2010 and they even have this thing called 'bill deposit'.
So, for you mommies out there who haven't experienced a cut on electric bill by following energy saving tips, I suggest you try the following and later enjoy the benefits.
15 Energy Saving Tips
1. Turn off the radio if other appliances like TV or computer is on.
2. During the day, use natural light by pulling the curtains to the sides.
3. After dark, you may avoid turning on your lampshades by relying on the illuminating light coming from the outside.
4. Choose light bulbs with low wattage.
5. Use incandescent bulbs instead of compact fluorescent lamps.
6. Machine wash your clothes in full loads once a week from 9PM to 5AM only when electricity is cheaper (as per MERALCO).
7. Hang clothes to dry on sunny or windy days. Skip the machine drying process.
8. Iron clothes just once a week and again from 9PM to 5AM only when electricity is cheaper.
9. Press light materials like hankies after switching off the iron during the last minutes of ironing.
10. No need to iron all clothes. Some clothes require only a careful folding.
11. No need to preheat the oven when baking.
12. Let hot foods cool down before putting them in the fridge.
13. Do not use AC as much as possible.
14. Steady the electric fan. It saves more energy when electric fan isn't turning left and right.
15. Unplug all electronic appliances when not in use.